training requirements for Rhode Island
Rhode Island Department of Health
Rhode Island Executive Office of Health and Human Services
Rhode Island Department of Behavioral Healthcare, Developmental Disabilities and Hospitals
Rhode Island Department of Elderly Affairs (https://www.dea.ri.gov/)
Federal: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), which is a federal agency within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs)
- Home Health Aides (HHAs)
- Personal Care Assistants (PCAs)
- Personal Care Attendants (PCAs)
State Specific Training Requirements
- PCA training addresses the following topics: Communication; Infection control; Personal care services; Nutrition and hydration; Safe transfers and ambulation; Bed mobility and positioning; Emergency preparedness; Observation and reporting; Personal and consumer rights and responsibilities; Ethical and legal issues
- Annual HHA training covers the following topics: Communication skills; Infection control; Basic safety and emergency procedures; Clients’ rights; Care of clients with cognitive impairment; Personal care skills; Nutrition; Activities of daily living; Observation and reporting.
- Annual CNA training addresses Basic nursing skills; Infection control; Communication skills; Residents’ rights; Safety and emergency procedures; Personal care skills; Care of cognitively impaired residents; Resident abuse prevention; Documentation and reporting.
- It is important to note that the specific designations and requirements for home and health care workers in Rhode Island may vary depending on the type of services being provided, the setting in which those services are provided, and other factors. Some home and health care agencies may require additional training or certifications beyond the minimum state requirements, depending on the specific services they provide and the needs of their clients.
- Therefore, it’s important for home and health care providers and agencies to check with their employer or a Rhode Island-approved training program to determine any additional training requirements that may apply to their job.